Monday, October 17, 2016

first individual field post

          Today I was lucky enough to experience my first individual field experience. I was placed in a first grade classroom and was able to jump right into things. Today the kids where learning about food and water outside of their school. Not only did they learn about what was right outside their classroom door, they also learned the importance of staying with the class and listening to their teacher. Inside their classroom was a really exciting and realistic prospective that was so cool to be able to be a part of. Watching this age group and noticing all the things they like and dislike and the things they get distracted from and the things that engage them is something I think I could only know through this experience.

            The time slot I was there for also allowed me to be there for the children’s gym class. In gym on Mondays I found out that the kids generally are mostly free to do what they want within what the teacher sets out. After a little bit of observing this class and talking to the kids I was asked to play tag with the kids. Tag being one of my favorite games I was quick to join in. After we all guy tired, myself included, I thought of a game I used to play as a kid and asked about four kids if the wanted to learn it. Four kids quickly turned into 8 which quickly got the gym teachers attention who quickly got the whole class to circle up and learn my game. I got the kids to all quite down and listen up for the rules of the game “Down by the banks”. Once everyone started to get the hang of the game we were able to play the game for about fifteen minutes until the end of class which the kids loved! Being in their class really was able to bring me back to realize how simple things are at that age and how they loved me almost instantly based on me being nice. This observation helped reiterate how much I love kids and how excited I am to having a future working with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment